June 23, 2005

Horse 362 - Feng Shui

Feng Shui is the ancient Chinese practice of placement and arrangement of space to achieve harmony with the environment. The practice is estimated to be more than three thousand years old.
Feng Shui literally means wind and water in Chinese or in its original expression: Wind is that which cannot be seen or invisible and water is that which cannot be grasped or elusive. Therefore Feng Shui is a life-force/entity thingamybob which must be both Invisible & Elusive.

Various tabloid magazines explain that Feng Shui is the arrangement of objects within a home to obtain an optimum flow of qi (which I assume to be soem sort of magical energy); however this qi has never been observed and many believe that certain, filthy, low-down, dirty, double crossing, no-good, scoundrel, corrupt interior designers have abused this concept to profit from poor, innocent yet naïve consumers.

I however think that Feng Shui is a marvellous idea and before you tell me how New Age radical I am, I must explain myself.

Being winter, my bedroom is very cold; therefore by carefully placing a heater in the room, heat energy will make it less cold. Also if I install a second power point, energy will flow down the cable into the heater rather than an existing extension cord across the room which I might trip over.

Also, I think it might be a good idea not to put too many books on top of the bookshelf in case they develop kinetic energy and fall on my head if the door slams.

Later on this evening I might even use Feng Shui on my car by getting qi to flow into my petrol tank via stored chemical energy of the petrol to create even more kinetic energy when I put my foot to the floor.

What a marvellous idea Feng Shui is. Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed. The total amount of energy and matter in the Universe remains constant, merely changing from one form to another. The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy is always conserved, it cannot be created or destroyed. In essence, energy can be converted from one form into another.

Energy exists in many forms, such as heat, light, chemical energy, and electrical energy. Energy is the ability to bring about change or to do work. It seems to me as though Feng Shui is just a shorthand method of saying The First Law of Thermodynamics.

No comments: