September 23, 2005

iFive - 23rd Sep

The 111th Promenade Concert series was held at the egg that is the Royal Albert Hall this year. BBC Radio 3 weren't kind enough to play them live at times I could listen to but the listen again schedule on the Beeb's website made it somewhat accessible. I find it not entirely odd therefore that within my collection of songs either directly football related or used as theme tunes, that Purcell and Blake should feature.

Regular pundits will know something of my fascination with the Beautiful Game, and this extends into the music and the crowds as well. The power of a football crowd in full song is something to behold, especially if England has just won and they're belting out "Jerusalem".
Deutschland 2006 die zweite invasion beginnt! Deutschland 1 England 5

1. Jerusalem - Fat Les (Purcell)
2. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You - The Beatles
3. Vindaloo - Fat Les (Blake)
4. The Wombles of Wimbledon - The Wombles
5. I - Shirley Bassey

No comments: