November 28, 2005

Horse 447 - Technical Graphicy Stuff

I am feverishly working out the problems of scanning stuff into the computer and am being stopped at every signpost. I would like for my proposed graphic novel/webcomic/submission to Oztaku to be at 600 dpi and in greyscale but this produces an image size of 28meg in A4.

28MEG!!

It's huge. It could go for the black and white surrealism of Sam & Fuzzy or the aceribic colours of Questionable Content but neither of these solve how I get from A5 and about 30 tones of rich pencil and ink to something I can post. It's a living nightmare.

Also, I've found that a lot of the stuff I've done is requiring far less than the 140 backgrounds that I drew. It's amazing how many times you can repeat the same shot of looking outwards from behind a bar or into a lounge room. I especially like the little things I can do at this stage with just paper where I can create hidden action by the placement of objects (it's possible to have someone playing a pinball machine by merely standing in front of it).

If you do a stop-frame analysis of most Warner Bros. cartoons you'll find that they use limited animation and the prolonged exaggeration of stuff for comic timing. On the other hand, in something like Neon Genesis Evangelion, they showed a heightened sense of tension with a completely silent and still shot of two protagonists for a full 53 seconds.

I've also discovered that there's a lot of continuity issues that have to be addressed. If someone has five buttons omn their shirt, then they should always have five. Likewise, number plates should remain specific to the area of region intended because I've been reading through webcomics forums and there are anoraks out there who do look for this stuff.

Oh dear.

No comments: