November 29, 2005

Horse 448 - Pocky Madness 2



When walking through a shopping mall at 2am this morning in pursuit of some instant ramen and a bottle of sake (most recipes call for rice vinegar but I find sake produces a sweeter and more tangyer taste), I happened on the snacks aisle and found that my local Asian supermarket now has 15 flavours of Pocky.

Pocky is a long biscuity snack that's usually covered in some sort of chocolate. The snack is so popular that it's one of those things which is almost as famous in Japan as say the Tim Tam is in Australia. What's even more bizarre is that the snack even has it's own girl-pop-band. The snack has appeared in well over 4 dozen anime series as well.

Well now I find that Glico have plans to set up a factory in Australia and export it back to Japan because it's cheaper to do this here than in the country of origin. It's already produced in Singapore but demand outstrips production there.

I hope that because it's made here that we start to see it in the biscuit aisle of regular supermarkets. Actually truth in point I'd prefer to see Australia adopt both sets of traditions that go along with Valentines Day in Japan (and pick up White Day) because then maybe, I might find that someone else may buy lots of it for me...

I like Pocky.

No comments: