November 18, 2005

iFive - 18th Nov

Australia winning qualification to the World Cup in Germany in 2006 is one of the highlights of my overly football obsessed life, and it showed up in this weeks top 5. The Match of the Day theme was heard on BBC1 TV for nearly 40 years before the forces of Rupert's evil at BSkyB bought the rights for £1bn.

Vindaloo by Fat Les on the other hand typifies a lot of football songs - they have really no point and are scarcely about football.

Me, me dad, me gran and me ma'am we're off to Waterloo.
Me, me dad, me gran and me ma'am and a bucket of Vindaloo.
Vindaloo, vindaloo. Vindaloo, vindaloo. Na Nah.
Vindaloo, vindaloo. Vindaloo, vindaloo. Na Nah.
Vindaloo, vindaloo and we all like Vindaloo,
We're gonna score one more than you - England!

Please, if anyone knows what the connection with an Indian curry and football is, then please tell me. I've been wanting to know this for nearly 20 years.

1. Match of the Day - BBC TV
2. Vindaloo - Fat Les
3. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
4. Ride It - Geri Halliwell
5. I'll Be Back (Take 2) - The Beatles

No comments: