January 06, 2006

Horse 474 - Advice Is A Form of Nostalgia

The best piece of advice I have ever received is a contentious issue. I think of some of the words of my now late grandfather who in his own unique way told me these few words:

Neither a borrower or a lender be

Sound advice you would say, no? Even more sound when you consider that when I wanted to borrow $2.50 to nip off down to the shops for a bottle of Coca-Cola and a Sausage Roll he told he to nick off, because he didn't want to lend me the money.Also sound advice when you consider that the man also owed the tax office nearly $177,000.

I remember I was in a small roadhouse just outside of Canberra and found the following legend inscribed in chalk on the board outside:

A Cup of Tea, A Meat Pie and a Kindly Word for $4.

I et the meat pie (yes I did intend to use the word et, it's perfectly acceptable ye olde English), enjoyed my Darjeeling and waited around a bit for the kindly word. The chap behind the counter eventually saw me and wondered what I was doing, so I told him that I was waiting for the Kindly Word as advertised. He came over leant down and gave me these words of wisdom - Just between you and me, don't eat the meat pie.

No comments: