August 02, 2006

Horse 604 - I Laugh At Gossip!

Ha! Ha ha ha! Heh heh m Heh Heh!

I got home after running around chasing a football last night to my sister who looked very very worried indeed. Apparantly people at her work had said nasty things about me, and that she'd spent the best part of an hour trying to defend me. She cut up pretty rough over the whole thing and especially didn't like my attitude to this affair which was summed up with my single word response...

So?

I hurriedly explained that this was what I had to say about these people and about not her actions which were quite noble, but it made me think that my attitude in this light was even more correct. Not only did I not ask what was being said, or ask whom it was being said by, I couldn't be bothered to care either.

For I care not about what people I don't know and have never met, think about me. Should I? After working in environments of mass bitchiness and gossip in the Law Courts, I quickly learnt that reputation is actually far less important than what people make out. In fact I used to take this even further because on occasion where I found out what was being said, I'd find the person who'd been stirring up gossip and do precisely what they'd been saying in pure spite.

I remember being once accused by someone in the office, let's call her Susan (because that happens to be the first name I thought of), that I explained things in too much detail, but she was doing this behind my back. One day Susan asked me how to make double-sided & stapled copies of folded A4 documents with the photocopier (which in theory is quite difficult anyway), so I took the opportunity to explain this to her right down to the nth degree and then watched as mayhem ensued as she went around the office spreading this bit of gossip to all and sundry.
About 4 days later someone else asked me how to do the same thing; but I noticed that about 15 seconds later I had an audience of about 12 people all watching and right in the middle of the group was Susan. Realising this I stood in front of the photocopier and said: "You press this, this and this for 30 copies". 30 neat copies spat out of the machine to rapturous applause and Susan went off in a huff - thus I proved that gossip when spun on its head can be like an unexploded land mine.

There are people in this world who derive entertainment from gossip and rumour, one merely needs to scan a newsagents to see the ragazines* every week. I don't think if was some celebrity whether I'd adopt a much different attitude to what I have now. I mean who really cares anyway? It can all be summed up in that one word...

So?

*Yes, I deliberately made this portmanteau.

No comments: