February 27, 2007

Horse 725 - The Queen, The King & I

I don't really have a coherant thought today, so here goes:

Wasn there a flotsam about last night? I'm led to believe that the Oscars were on last night but to be honest, my interest in self-primping awards ceremonies is about as great as my love of rocket lettuce (so not much).

I was doing other things, and I heard something about the Queen and then not long afterwards heard mention of Scotland and thought someone must have been watching a documentary about the Act of Union which was passed in 1707 and therefore is now 300 years old.

I later found out that there was a film about the life of Idi Amin that had an actor win something or other. Know I already knew that Idi Amin was the self-proclaimed King of Scotland, and that logically if he were to fulfil his claim, then he'd either have to marry Queen Elizabeth who is technically the Queen of Scotland before she's the Queen of England by virtue of the aforementioned Act of Union of 1707, but even then he'd only be Queen's Consort like Prince Phillip is now, or Prince Albert was when he married Queen Victoria.

I suppose that Idi Amin could logically have actually been the King of Scotland had he committted regicide and by military invasion, taken over the Northern Kingdom of the British Isles and in some respects, the people of Scotland might have actually appreciated it because invariably they've been moving away from England emotionally now for about 30 years; even now to the point where they've devolved and gotten their own parliament with special rule for the country.

Then I heard about awards and things and wondered if there was something to do with the Six Nations or some such. It was only this morning that I actually realised that the Oscars were on last night, so I guess this means that I better find out who won the major awards for no other reason than it might be asked in a pub trivia competition down the track.

But a film about Idi Amin? Doesn't everybody love a jolly fat man? Well Idi Amin certainly loved himself. Look at the title he gave himself:
"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

So what if the Oscars were on last night. I don't think my life will change much. Isn't Oscar the chap who lived in a dustbin?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wot r da six nation?

Rollo said...

The Six Nations compete annually for a trophy in the sport of Rugby. They're the home nations of England, Scotland, Wales, All Ireland; continental France and Italy.