March 02, 2007

Horse 726 - iTwenty Five

Brendan did it - James did it - I follow... how dull ^_^

1. Australian Radio Callsigns - Adverts - Australian Radio
This is a compliation of various radio callsigns from around the country. Like so much of the things on my iPod this forms part of the music furniture but whether it is actually music in it's own right is debateable.
Keepin Melbourne Rockin 3-X-Y

2. Choose Life - PF Project
The sample in this song comes directly from the beginning of Trainspotting as said by Ewen McGregor. As a dance/trance track it's not that interesting otherwise.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else.

3. An Own Goal By Paraguay - Radio 1 - Chris Moyles Show
The Chris Moyles Show on BBC Radio 1 has a different opening sting for every morning that it's on air. This was the day after England beat Paraguay 1-0 in the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
The Chris Moyles Show - Rooney looks like Shrek! International Radio 1!

4. We Beat Jamaica Six - Nil - Radio 1 - Chris Moyles Show
This represented the biggest win for England under the tenure of Sven Goran-Eriksson. For at least a few days, hope sprang up.
We will win the Cup, unless we lose to Trinidad and stuff the whole thing up.

5. Soramimi Keeki (Fancy Hearing Cake) - Azumanga Daioh
I also have quite a few themes from television programs; this being the opening theme from the anime Azumanga Daioh.
The letters on the mysterious door say "Fancy Hearing Cake" (I think that's what it's translated as)

6. You Mean, During The Break? - Azumanga Daioh
Sometimes the soundtrack to a film (or in this case an anime) is as memorable as the characters and the plot. Subconsciouisly we all know what certain cues in films happen to mean. I mean just listen to the opening theme of Star Wars for all of the consitutent components.
(No Lyrics)

7. Fall To Pieces - Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin
Next to Britney and Christina, Avril's first album looked distinctively dour. Maybe it's the series of sweeping guitar chords through this that make it so listenable.
I don't wanna fall to pieces, I just want to sit and stare at you.

8. Take Me To Another Town - Emma Bunton - Life In Mono
Ms Bunton has made 3 albums to date and sold more records than any other of the ex-Spices. This single was handily released just as she was appearing on Strictly Come Dancing, so the hopping along nature of this track was apt.
I go to Cairo, I go to St Tropez, there are too many people who keep getting in my way.

9. The Fallen - Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
Almost mechanical in approach, Franz Ferdinand's second album was a good follow up. This song is like a call out to the troubled and dispossessed. You really have to stop yourself from bouncing around with this.
Well who gives a damn about the profits of Tesco?

10. Part of the Queue - Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Still the highest played song on the iPod, it made it to No.1 in 2005 and No.6 in 2006. Part of the Queue is one of those songs from the former "best band in the world" as declared by the NME, who no longer yell in out but kind of sigh.
Suddenly I've found that I've lost my way in the city, The streets and the thousands of colours all bleed into one.

11. Let There Be Love - Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Also from the same album, this is one of the few tracks where both Liam and Noel sing. This is not your typical "power ballad", in fact the whole thing sounds almost desperate and that's difficult to acheive.
Come on baby blue, shake out those tired eyes, the world is waiting for you.

12. A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harem
Quite a mournful song, it uses a Hammond organ in a sort of Bach feel. In the film Good Morning Vietnam, it's used as the soundtrack to a firefront as people are being blown off the face of the earth.
We skid the light fandango, did cartwheels 'cross the floor.

13. Dont Get Any Better - Geri Better - Passion
From my Number 4 album of 2005, Geri belts out a chunky disco song. Steve Wright on Radio 2 played this quite a lot and for a while, immediately after it would be Ask Elvis.
What I got is what I need and I know it's good enough for me.

14. Knock 'Em Out - Lily Allen - Alright, Still
It's strange that a lady who it must be said is so middle class was able to produce such a ladette album. This deals with the disappointment of far too many Friday Nights in the city.
And you're like, no not in a million years. Leave me alone, you're nasty.

15. Jerusalem - Fat Les
This will usually for part of the Last Night of the Proms, but in recent years has been taken to the terraces by football crowds. This is William Blake's poem, turned into Parry's hymn. King George V suggested that it should replace God Save the King as the national anthem.
Bring me my bow of burning gold; bring me my arrows of desire. Bring me my spear, oh clouds unfold. Bring me my chariot of fire.

16. Wonderwall - Oasis - What's The Story (Morning Glory)?
If there was a trademark for what defined Britriock then this is that stamp. By far their most famous song, it was pipped by Country House by Blur for the number 1 spot. It also uses that curious trick of throwing in a cello.
Backbeat, the word is on the street that the fire in your heart is out.

17. Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis - What's The Story (Morning Glory)?
I think of Wembley in 2000 when I hear this - 90,000+ people all singing the chorus. This is yet another one of those songs in which Pachelbel had managed to hide himself.
Stand up beside the fireplace; take that look from off your face. You aint ever gonna burn my heart out.

18. 92.5 FM Community - Radio Luxembourg
Radio Luxembourg was able to subvert British radio licensing laws by transmitting with an insane amount of power from the Low Country.
(it is and does what it says on the box)

19. Let's Begin - Azumanga Daioh
You know the routine now. From the soundtrack album, this is an extended version of the little grabs that enclose the ad breaks.
(no lyrics)

20. New School Term 5 - Azumanga Daioh
Starting to notice a pattern here? This is played on a tin whistle and a tamborine of something and sounds insanely happy.
(no lyrics)

21. My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin
One of those songs on the radio about a break up that spits acerbic. It also happens to play with dramatic pauses quite effectively.
Don't leave me hanging, in a city so dead. Held up so high on such a breakable thread.

22. C'est La Vie - B*Witched
Irish group B*Witched managed to combine plastic pop with traditional Irish Jiggery in a way that for about 3 months was fun but on reflection has gone the same way as a flock of seagulls haircut.
I'm the wolf today. I'll huff, I'll puff, I'll huff, I'll puff, I'll blow you away.

23. Three Lions '96 - Skinner, Baddiel and the Lightning Seeds
Hosts of Fantasy Football League and later Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned inadvertantly created a terrace chant that would resurface for 1998 and later for 2002. The songs speaks not of England's success but the fact that since 1966, every tournament has ended in dashed hopes and the feeling that England will never again reach those heights.
Three Lions on the shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming. Thirty years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming.


24. Steve Wright: Ask Elvis - 01-09-06 - BBC Radio 2
Ask Elvis is a segment on Steve Wright's afternoon radio show in the UK in which people ask "Elvis" questions ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. This particular podcast opened with someone asking Elvis about the legals status of what a landowner actually owned.
A snap head rivet is different to a mushroom head rivet and they have very different applications. Give me the pieces, The King wants to build a battleship.

25. Steve Wright: Ask Elvis - 25-08-06 - BBC Radio 2
As above.
I think you're giving yourself a whole mess of problems if you try and stich hexagons together with a machine. I'd do that by hand.

No comments: