May 25, 2009

Horse 990 - Inertia

I find this particular comment from "He the B", and specifically the correct and exact usage of a word either deliberate, or if it wasn't, quite amusing. That word is Inertia:

I have also said I have an infinite capacity for lethargy - it's true - and there too lies a necessity of transformation which my inertia resists.
http://bjd.au.com/index.php?bloggid=2004002134&directlink=true

Inertia comes from the Latin word, "iners", meaning idle, or lazy. More specifically it refers to the concept contained in Sir Issac Newton's First Law of Motion -"A body persists its state of rest or of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external unbalanced force."

I had a think back to my days as a high school student, and more specifically this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-7kkAu2Pg
The tagline right at the end was this:
Objects are lazy - things like to keep on doing what they're already doing.

I have also said I have an infinite capacity for lethargy - it's true - and there too lies a necessity of transformation which my inertia resists.
Is BJD implying that he must be an object somewhere in the universe; an object which obeys the First Law of Motion? The word Inertia itself implies laziness however there's something else wrapped up in that word - an object in motion will remain in motion. If BJD is working hard, does that imply that he'll continue to work hard under the very same law of inertia?

Footnote: Have I just inadvertently condemned people to watching hours of Eureka! on Youtube? I hope so, maybe they'll learn something.

No comments: