November 14, 2011

Horse 1248 - Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain

Last week I had my 33rd birthday (and no this is not some rant about how old I'm feeling) and so naturally it was an excuse to get some Cake.

We'd gone to IGA and found what appeared to be a nice Orange and Poppyseed Cake and the expiry date was the 18th of November; so following all of the instructions, we put the cake into the fridge and were expecting nice cake to eat on my birthday. I make note of the word "expecting" because when my birthday did come around, we took the cake out of the fridge and found that it had gone mouldy.
Gasp, shock, horror! (sounds of glass breaking).
What do you do with Cake once it has gone mouldy? It isn't fit to eat any more and being an Orange and Poppyseed Cake, the cats don't recognise it as food even though they will eat things like broccoli and peas (cats hate citrus).
So with nothing else doing, we decided to leave the cake out in the garden so that the Rainbow Lorikeets and Crested Pigeons could come and enjoy it. Then on Saturday night... it rained.

Why do I even bother to make mention of this story for? Because of this:


MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark,
All the sweet green icing flowing down.
Someone left the cake out in the rain.
I don't think that I can take it,
'Cause it took so long to bake it,
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, nooo!

This song "MacArthur Park" has plagued me for years; leaving me with questions like:
What the heck? Who in their right mind leaves cake out in the rain in the first place?

The point is that I finally do have a plausible reason why a sane person would in fact leave cake out in the rain. Not only is it plausible but it's probably quite sensible.
In my case I "left the cake out in the rain" because of thrift. I'd already paid for the cake and it would have otherwise been wasted. Maybe Jimmy Webb who wrote the song had some cake that had gone mouldy, or maybe he'd burnt it like King Alfred the Great (that's the only thing I know about him) and didn't want to waste it.

It still doesn't explain why you need to write such a dramatic song about it though; not does it explain why he'll "never have that recipe again". Surely he'd have it in a recipe book or written down or something.

1 comment:

Emily's Nephew said...

Did you think of asking your friend U to return the cake to IGA?